top of page

Works Over

What is this & why do we need to care

If you plan to dig or build within 10 meters of Watercare critical assets or within 2 meters of Watercare non-critical assets (pipes or manholes), you will need to apply for Watercare works over approval.

It’s important to reduce the risk of damaging Watercare pipes, manholes and other equipment. The requirements are set out in Section 8 of the Auckland Council Water Supply and Wastewater Network Bylaw 2015.

It is very important to identify the correct location at the BC stage to avoid a big hassle at the later construction stage. Problems always come from the underground…!

Japan Homes can manage to get CCTV for the existing drainage manholes and pipes, then update the data into Topo plans. In this way, the architect and engineers can design the foundation and site plans correctly.

Not only for foundation but also for retaining walls, we need Works Over.

What documents are requested

· A pdf copy of the Watercare GIS map showing the area of the work.

· A foundation plan showing your proposed development in relation to our water and wastewater pipes. All Watercare assets present on the site must be shown. (Example below)

· Cross-section details (drawn to scale and dimensions) showing the bridging details and actually proposed vertical and horizontal clearances (not just the minimum requirement) from our assets, along with the 45° line of influence taken from a point 500 mm below the bottom of the affected pipe. The pipe size and invert level also need to be shown together with key reduced levels.. (Example below)

· The correct legal address of the site (which complies with Auckland Council’s numbering standards).

· A pre-construction CCTV inspection video and log sheets, showing the condition of the affected public local network wastewater pipe(s) may be required.

· Works Over application form, this can be downloaded from Watercare website.

Our comments

Council will require Works over approval before issuing Building Consent, so we suggest starting works over application before Building Consent lodgment.

After we lodge application documents to watercre, one watercare engineer will take care of this application and contact us if they need further information. The whole progress can take up to 2 months depending on the complexity of the project, so we strongly advise having all documents ready as early as possible.

We have experience of getting works over approval, we can manage the whole progress by working closely with architects and engineers.

207 views0 comments


bottom of page